Monday, June 14, 2010

Interview on NY Talk Radio!

Last night, my friend/business manager Nicole Turon-Diaz told me of a radio show called "Your Beautiful Child" on NY Talk Radio in Tribeca that she was going to be interviewed on today. The show addresses issues faced by parents of individuals with autism spectrum disorders, and Nicole was being interviewed about her organization, Learning By Design, and her upcoming collaboration with Joey Travolta on a summer film camp for kids with special needs.

Initially, Nicole asked if I would call in to the show, but when I told her that my meeting with my professor had been moved from today to Wednesday, she asked if I wanted to accompany her into the city and be on the show itself! I was quite surprised by this, but readily agreed.

So, we drove into the city today and met up with Shane B. Kulman, the woman who is the host of the show, for brunch at a restaurant in Tribeca called Bubby's. We discussed what would be happening on the show and what it would be like, and I found myself very excited for what lie ahead.

It was truly quite an experience, and so much fun. The show wasn't taped in your standard recording studio, either...it was in this building in Tribeca, on the first floor. There was a cat that kept crawling all over me (cute little bugger--left white hairs all over my black dress. Go figure). The room had five different decades of stuff in it: an '80s-looking mirror on the wall; an old, old Singer sewing machine from the 20s; an old radio; a huge vintage portrait of Elizabeth Taylor on the wall; and this coffee table that looked like it was carved out of a tree. Not to mention paisley Oriental rugs and a wet bar that looked like it was from the '70s. Apparently different shows can rent out the space to record there, and just...zowie. What a space indeed.

So, I am pleased to report that the interview went very well--I even got to read my "Letter to My Younger Self" on the air! If you're interested in listening, here is the link (just click on the "play" button, or click "Download" to download it to your computer): http://nytalkradio.net/wordpress/podcasts/your-beautiful-child/lucky-13/. Please do let me know what you think of the show if you decide to listen. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment