Monday, February 23, 2009

Book News + An Exciting Conference Coming Up!

I can't believe I haven't updated since December. It's not that a great many life-shattering events have occurred since then (they haven't); but it's a new year now, and it just isn't right that I haven't rung it in here on my little blog of bloggishness.

The first bit of news I can share is that I've (finally) created a schedule for writing my book. My mom came over a few weekends ago, and we sat down and mapped out which chapters I'm going to write during each week. I have these color-coded printouts of every month from January to May hanging neatly up above my desk. The goal is to have the writing itself done by April 1st, and the editing done by the end of May. This is all provided that I stick to the schedule, which is a hell of a lot easier said than done. But I will try my best.

In other news, the article that I wrote for the Spring 2009 issue of Autism Spectrum Quarterly has finally gone to press! It's called "I Can Cook, I Can Write: Prenatal Testing, Asperger Syndrome, and the Journey to Existence," and you can read a little blurb about it here: http://www.asquarterly.com on ASQ's website. I'll post the full article up here, as was done with the last one, once I have a copy of it and have it online.

I have some other things I'd like to write about, but I'm going to reserve them for a future entry and instead take a moment to tell you all about a great event that's coming up. Caldwell College, where I attend graduate school, is having a conference in April titled, "Innovations in Autism Treatment and Applied Behavior Analysis: A Conference for Professionals, Teachers, Parents, and Caregivers of Children with Autism." It will feature over 10 professional luminaries in the field of behavior analysis, including Dr. Bill Heward, BCBA; Dr. Gina Green, BCBA; Dr. Gregory MacDuff, and more.

The conference is scheduled to take place on two consecutive Fridays; April 17th and April 24th. For more information, including registration details, click the banner below:




I know it may seem slightly stodgy and more research-based than many parents find accessible, but I cannot recommend this conference highly enough. These speakers are all incredibly well-versed in ABA, and believe in working toward the goal of helping to improve the lives of individuals with autism and their families. That's where the "applied" in "applied behavior analysis" comes in. These people aren't standing in a cold laboratory all day long. They're going out into schools and other settings in the community, working with paraprofessionals and parents alike to heighten the quality of life for people with autism. Anyone who's looking to learn more about ABA, or to keep abreast of the latest autism research developments will not want to miss this conference.

Attendees have the option of registering for one or both days of the conference, and if you register for both at the same time, there is a reduced fee. To see the full conference brochure, click here (you must have Adobe Acrobat to view it). Make sure to register as soon as possible, because registration fees increase after March 1st. So go get a-clicking and sign up today!

2 comments:

  1. Amy - hi - we met at the JCC last year. How IS your book coming along?? Well, I hope.

    Yours,

    KIM

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for you! I will be first in line to read your book, I swear.

    ReplyDelete